Saturday, June 23, 2012

JORDAN - DEAD SEA DELIGHTS.



4 Days off saw me book a ticket to Amman, Jordan to discover what this little gem has to offer.
After a full day of roughing it  and experiencing the cultural history in Petra, we checked in to the Marriot Dead Sea Spa and Resort for some R&R.



The beauty of the Dead Sea is deep -   377 m deep to be exact and is made up of a 33.7% salinity level. 
The density of the sea means you float freely in the salt water while the glorious sun soaks in to your skin and you prepare for the tan of your lifetime.




There's a lot to be said about the healing and beautifying effects of the Dead Sea. The high mineral content of the water has been said to have magical effects on your skin and inner health. Many tourists travel here to experience the benefits of the Dead Sea minerals and natural mud scrub. I spent a full day doing this, then checked in to the spa for a massage and the best facial I've ever had. I know this because I feel asleep 2 minutes in. It was THAT relaxing.


I knew the trip wouldn't be complete without taking some of these products back home and sharing them with friends, so on the way to the airport I stopped to have a chat to one of the largest wholesale retailers of Dead Sea products. I purchased the products I've reviewed based on their recommendation and consumer feedback. There are many different brands of Dead Sea derived products to choose from so I chose 3 different brands and products to make sure I give an accurate review.


Apart from the attractive natural make up of Dead Sea products, I was happy to find that none of these had been tested on animals - otherwise you would not find them on this blog.


1. RIVAGE - Nourishing Body Mud Mask 500 gm - $32 USD



I chose this product in the hope that when I tried it at home it would take me back to the lush day I spent exfoliating with the natural mud, letting it dry and then jumping in to the Dead Sea to let it soak off. And repeat. 

Also, the gorgeous packaging and french connection of the brand really stood out among some of the plainer packaged products. Hey, I'm a marketers dream!

The mask comes in a foil pouch, which makes it incredibly easy to apply. The daunting thing when applying a MUD product is just that - it's Mud. Which is generally dark and messy and should only be applied in the shower.
 The mask boasts Jojoba Oil, Avocado Oil and Papaya extracts and the scent of the product confirms this.
 After showering, I applied the mud mask to my body and let it dry for 25 minutes. 
The mask was surprisingly lightweight and started drying a lot faster than anticipated. I tried not to touch anything/sit of my white linen sheets and felt thankful for my en-suite.

Instructions are to wash the body mask off using warm water and a "circular motion in order to exfoliate dead skin cells".  I did this and truly felt exfoliated and fresh.
 Afterwards, my skin felt soft and dewy but not unlike the result of a typical sugar scrub which is neither as messy or time consuming. 
The product recommends a weekly application. I'll leave this in my shower to remind me to do this, if time permits. Soon after my skin felt a bit dry from the exfoliating so I moisturised and enjoyed my 'new-skin' feeling.


FLY ACROSS THE WORLD FOR IT? If I was comparing this to the Dead Sea experience itself, probably not. But as far as home treatments go, this is a product I would definitely enjoy using on a regular basis to give me a clean refreshed 'spa experience' feel. Also, there is no mention of number of applications per pouch though I'd expect to get at least 5 which makes this a worthwhile purchase when you consider cost per use.




2. JOON - Dead Sea - Dead Cell Remover Cream (Refining & Regeneration) 120 ml - $35 USD



This cream for the face and neck promises to 'target dead cell buildup' and 'rebuild a youthful appearance instantly'. I'm sorry, however any non-surgical cosmetic product that claims to 'instantly' improve your appearance is about as useful as a hole in a bucket. That aside, the product has a gluely feel to it, and I would describe it more as serum based rather than a cream. 
Upon application, I failed to see what the product actually did for me. Maybe the over promising description on the plain packaging let me down as I was expecting to see 5 years shaved off instantly. My face and neck did feel slightly sticky which made me want to wash the cream off after 15 minutes.
The product contains Aloe which I like and is always beneficial for after-sun care.


FLY ACROSS THE WORLD FOR IT? No. However, I'll keep using the cream on a bi-weekly basis, especially post sun to see if I notice any positive changes, or INSTANT youthfulness.. I'll be sure to let you know if I do.


3. DEAD SEA TREASURES - Dead Sea Mineral Bath Salts 240gm - $6 USD



I haven't purchased many varieties of bath salts however DEAD SEA bath salts contain 26 minerals and trace elements, naturally from the dead sea so I felt like this would be an ideal purchase. The product comes in 7 different fragrances and I chose the Lemon for my review. As per the instructions I ran a hot bath and dissolved roughly a third of the product and soaked for 20 minutes. I didn't expect the bath salts to rock my world, but they did calm me while I thought about all the healing properties the minerals of the Dead Sea have. After a quick shower to rinse the salt off I felt relaxed and content.


FLY ACROSS THE WORLD FOR IT? No. Although I wish I purchased much more of this product! I'd take a relaxing hot bath on the regular if I did. Will add candles next time to complete the experience. Bliss.




For anyone thinking about travelling to the Dead Sea I am more than happy to offer any recommendations and advice. One thing I will say is JUST GO. It is one of my most memorable experiences and I can't wait to go back.



1 comment:

  1. https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/9KCF8LV

    would you mind filling this survey if you have ever used bath salts ? !
    i'd really appreciate it .. it will only take a few minutes :D

    THANK YOUUUUUU !!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete